smile

NEW! I am working to change all Amazon links to go to Smile.Amazon
Any link from this site will automatically raise money for your favorite charity! And it doesn't cost you a thing!

Monday, October 28, 2019

Random Crap Memory Box - Lightweight - Inexpensive - Easy DIY Craft + Free Printable

I originally made a memory box out of plywood that was quite elaborate (eventually I'll write up the instructions). Now that we live in our RV full time, weight is always an issue. My plywood memory box needs to be replaced with a lighter weight version.



I surfed the net and looked for some ideas. Cute ones like "Making Memories" generic ones like "Ticket Box" Smaltzy ones like "Love lives here" but none of them were right. 

Then I remembered seeing a cigar trinket box that said "Random Crap from here and there" - Perfect! 



This one is easy to make and costs $2. Well, plus the hot glue if you don't have it already. But, being a crafter, I'm sure you have it! Read on for full instructions! 


It starts with a lightweight photo frame. I got mine at the Dollar Tree. Find one that has a nice deep frame, as you will be gluing a box to the back. 

This is the one I got


It has a nice deep rabbet in the back that will hold the box securely.


Also, pick up a sheet of the black foam board.


I like the fact it's made in the U.S.A. There are quite a few items in Dollar Tree that are made here :)


Make a 3 sided box that fits into the back of your frame


If you can see the clips that hold the glass, remove them. 
Hot glue the box into the frame.


Make a lid that fits over the top of the box to keep dust out :)
Do this by cutting a piece that covers the gap.  Cut a smaller piece that fits into the gap. Glue them together.


I used a black marker to darken the edges of the styrofoam where it is visible. 

You could use black electrical tape, or colorful washi tape, or clear tape if you want. I recommend taping the edges as they will separate and show more white if you don't.

 

Looks pretty good!

I used sticky back velcro to hold it to the wall.

If you have a vinyl cutter, you can put the words on the glass.

If you don't have a vinyl cutter, I've made a few different versions in pdf files you can print out and insert into the box.  They are downloadable by clicking below - one zip file with all six options. The actual artwork does not have the 'WackyPup' watermark over it.



If you do this, send me a picture and I'll post it here for an example.

Thanks for visiting and if you make one of these, send me a picture or comment below!


Now Go Play Outside!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a comment. If you have a question please use the CONTACT FORM at the top right of the blog to contact me. I can't answer your questions through the comments section. I don't know how to fix this so just use the contact form and I can answer any question you may have. Thanks!

HOW TO CONTACT ME

Please use the contact form at the top right of the article to ask me any questions or if you want a reply to your comment. If I reply to your comment on the website, you may not know it or receive any email. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate hearing from you!

Join Passport America! Save Money!


PLEASE USE REFERRAL MEMBER GS-671013

Dehumidifier

Dehumidifier
I just bought this - it's 2x as effective, super quiet, lightweight. It's doing a great job! It has made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of our rv.