smile

NEW! I am working to change all Amazon links to go to Smile.Amazon
Any link from this site will automatically raise money for your favorite charity! And it doesn't cost you a thing!

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

DIY Storm Door for Your Camper

I love to look out the big door on our camper. However, many times, it's too hot, or too cold to have just the screen door. 


Wouldn't it be nice to have a storm door?  I've heard of people using plexiglass to make a storm door. I don't have the room to store it, and I don't want to have it on all the time. I came up with a really flexible option for a storm door.


All you need is some clear vinyl and some sticky back velcro. 


This is the velcro I used. I use it for a lot of other projectts and hanging things on the walls, too. It's nice velcro and you get a lot of it!



I really recommend getting your vinyl from Walmart. They have a nice selection of different weights of clear vinyl. That way you can see exactly what you're getting, and choose the weight you want. I think just about any weight would work, it does not have to be heavy, or marine grade. I had some left over from a different project. 


 Please note that if you buy new vinyl, it won't be as wrinkled up as mine. I had mine stored (badly) for a few years, so it's kind of wrinkled. I tried to straighten it out with a hairdryer, but it wasn't perfect. Oddly, you can't see it at all from inside, so it doesn't bother me. 


I put the velcro completely around each section. I want to block as much airflow as possible, so my heat or a/c doesn't escape.


You can cut the 1" wide velcro in half so it's only 1/2" wide. When you get to the round corners, cut small triangles out so you can wrap it around the curves.


Stick one side of the velcro to the door (I recommend sticking the fuzzy side to the door. The hook side catches everything. )

Cut the vinyl to the same shape, and stick the mating velcro around the edges.


That's pretty much it! 

I usually leave the bottom vinyl on 100% of the time. It protects the screen from my little dog and still allows us to see out.

When I'm not using the vinyl, it rolls up for storage. 


It gives you a clear window to look out of (no more claustrophobia and a nice, light-blocking privacy shade at night.

Products used in this project:




Now stop looking out the window and 

Go Play Outside!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a comment. If you have a question please use the CONTACT FORM at the top right of the blog to contact me. I can't answer your questions through the comments section. I don't know how to fix this so just use the contact form and I can answer any question you may have. Thanks!

HOW TO CONTACT ME

Please use the contact form at the top right of the article to ask me any questions or if you want a reply to your comment. If I reply to your comment on the website, you may not know it or receive any email. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate hearing from you!

Join Passport America! Save Money!


PLEASE USE REFERRAL MEMBER GS-671013

Dehumidifier

Dehumidifier
I just bought this - it's 2x as effective, super quiet, lightweight. It's doing a great job! It has made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of our rv.