smile

NEW! I am working to change all Amazon links to go to Smile.Amazon
Any link from this site will automatically raise money for your favorite charity! And it doesn't cost you a thing!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! PLUS MORE HIDDEN STORAGE

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

 I love traveling with my dogs! I really miss them while they are not with me - that's one reason we bring our own guestroom with us! I'm sure you feel the same about yours. However, one thing I don't enjoy is stepping in their food or turning over their water bowl.

I came up with a foolproof way to fix this problem
There are a lot of water bowls that say they are no-spill.  Here is one of them:





However, the dog spilling it wasn't the problem! Me kicking it was the problem! 

This is an easy way to make a water bowl that you can't spill, even when you kick it.

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

Update: I now have two ways to do this. I came up with a simpler way like this



Read on for the original way I did it which uses the handle and a tube strap. 

What you will need is a simple plastic pitcher, the kind with the handle that only attaches on one end. If you have small dogs and are going to have to cut it down to size, make sure you get a flexible plastic pitcher that can be cut, not the hard clear kind that is brittle. I got mine at Walmart for less than $1.

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

Make sure the handle is not attached on both ends.

The other thing you need is a very inexpensive item called a 'tube strap'. It is in any plumbing department. You will need to get one that the handle of the pitcher will fit in after you screw it to a wall. You probably should bring your pitcher shopping with you :) I can't tell you exactly what size, because it depends which pitcher you get. 

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!
You will also need a tube strap. Tube straps come in copper, stainless steel, galvanized steel, or plastic. It doesn't matter which one you use.  Just make sure the handle of your pitcher can fit in it when it is against a wall.

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

Screw the tube strap to the wall where you want your dog's water. If you are going around a corner like I did, you can straighten out one side of the bracket.  Slip the handle of the pitcher into the strap - and that's it! A no-spill water container!

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

If you have small dogs, carefully mark and cut the side opposite the handle with scissors or a razor knife to the size that they can drink from.

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

The higher side will keep splashing from hitting the wall.
if your dog is really sloppy (like mine is) one of those micro-fiber dishmats is great under their water bowl.

 Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

This is another example of finding hidden storage. The food is in a box I added to my camper - there was a small area under the refrigerator that was just a blank spot. I figured there had to be some storage hiding there - well - sort of - the area had pipes and wires running through it.
Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!

I measured all the things I had to go around and made this box:

Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!Spill-Proof Dog Water - Easy and Inexpensive! Full Tutorial - Plus more storage!
I slid the box into the space and made the dogs' feeding area. Now I don't step in their water OR their food! Life is good!

Update: I now have two ways to do this. I came up with a simpler way like this



There are actually some store-bought dog bowls that I really like - 








Now go play outside!


2 comments:

  1. Great ideas, especially the water dish. Never fails we either kick it over or the dog knocks something into it. I'm definitely trying this next season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll love it - it really is nice not to step in / knock over / or drop things into the water dish any more! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a comment. If you have a question please use the CONTACT FORM at the top right of the blog to contact me. I can't answer your questions through the comments section. I don't know how to fix this so just use the contact form and I can answer any question you may have. Thanks!

HOW TO CONTACT ME

Please use the contact form at the top right of the article to ask me any questions or if you want a reply to your comment. If I reply to your comment on the website, you may not know it or receive any email. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate hearing from you!

Join Passport America! Save Money!


PLEASE USE REFERRAL MEMBER GS-671013

Dehumidifier

Dehumidifier
I just bought this - it's 2x as effective, super quiet, lightweight. It's doing a great job! It has made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of our rv.