smile

NEW! I am working to change all Amazon links to go to Smile.Amazon
Any link from this site will automatically raise money for your favorite charity! And it doesn't cost you a thing!

Thursday, May 02, 2019

Protect Your Glass Doors


I was on a forum and someone was showing a complicated way they pad all their glassware and dishes before moving the trailer. Hah! I thought to myself, I am more clever than that! I don't have to do anything before we move because everything is arranged nicely in the shelves and stays put!  


Then I saw a conversation about the damage to the glass doors from the items rubbing on them during travel. Hmmm, this might be an issue. Sure enough, when I opened the cabinets, I could see a couple small areas where the dishes had rubbed on the glass and damaged some of the frosted pattern. I have no idea whether the frost is really etched or just a sprayed on finish. It really doesn't matter at this point, either way, there's damage.

Well.... do I want to spend an hour getting my camper ready to move every time we change location? That's an easy question - NO - NO I DO NOT - I spend a lot of time and effort designing storage systems so that we pretty much lift anchor and sail away without a lot of prep (to mangle a metaphor or two)

So, what to do?



First I thought I could make some felt liners that I put over the glass (I have 10 glass doors in my new camper) No, that "felt" like seriously more work than I wanted to do. Plus, I'd have to REMEMBER to do it, and that is definitely the weak link.


I thought a little longer and realized that I'm not really a fan of the transparent glass doors.  My stuff isn't "pretty" enough. How about if I made liners that would pad the glass and also be attractive.  You can be as subtle (offwhite or black) or as creative and crazy as you want! We opted to add a little color to our very monochromatic camper.  We can change it out as often as we want!



There are 3 options:

Easiest: Cut pieces of craft foam to fit the glass, hot glue them in.

Moderate: Cover the pieces of foam with Contact Paper and glue them in.

Finicky: Cover the pieces of foam with fabric.

Of course, since I am a fabric junky I chose the last option.


Cut pieces of craft foam to fit the glass. At this point, you can glue them in if you're not covering them.

If you're going to cover, cut the fabric a little larger than the foam. 


Use a cardboard box to mask off surrounding areas so you don't get spray glue on everything. 

Spray the craft foam evenly with glue. I used


Apply the fabric to the craft foam. Make sure you put the right side down! You might want to mark the right side with some masking tape.







Interesting detail: If you have a remote control entertainment system behind the glass door, your remote control signal will probably go through the fabric. Hold your fabric up and test the remote. If the fabric is lightweight, the signal should go through the fabric.

Figure out where the signal receiver is located and cut the craft foam to allow for the remote signal.

If the signal doesn't get through the fabric, you'll have to cut it around the receiver if you want the remote to work with the door closed. 


Cut the fabric to the size of the foam.


Hint: to keep your scissors happy and cutting well, pick up one of these:



You can tell mine has been well used! It cleans off gunk and sharpens your scissors!


Before you glue your new padded liners into the doors, take a look at how wonky the glue is already. This way you'll feel better when your hot glue is wonky. 
Press the liner in place and secure with hot glue. 

Works for all doors: Clear the visual clutter!


Hope this gave you some inspiration!

Now Go Play Outside!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a comment. If you have a question please use the CONTACT FORM at the top right of the blog to contact me. I can't answer your questions through the comments section. I don't know how to fix this so just use the contact form and I can answer any question you may have. Thanks!

HOW TO CONTACT ME

Please use the contact form at the top right of the article to ask me any questions or if you want a reply to your comment. If I reply to your comment on the website, you may not know it or receive any email. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate hearing from you!

Join Passport America! Save Money!


PLEASE USE REFERRAL MEMBER GS-671013

Dehumidifier

Dehumidifier
I just bought this - it's 2x as effective, super quiet, lightweight. It's doing a great job! It has made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of our rv.