smile

NEW! I am working to change all Amazon links to go to Smile.Amazon
Any link from this site will automatically raise money for your favorite charity! And it doesn't cost you a thing!

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Easy Fruit or Vegetable Hammock! Bonus Make Your Own Cargo Net!

How To Make A Pretty Fruit and Vegetable Sling

The first takes a little more knowledge of knitting. If you want a complete beginner instructions, scroll down to #2.


This is a pattern I made that has a lot of holes. I'm sure it has a name but I don't know it and I spend way too much time writing these blog posts as it is, so if you want to know the name you'll have to look for it yourself.

It not only makes a nice cargo net, but you can make a string bag or even a snazzy cargo net with it too! I wrote a blog post on the cargo net here

I actually have two ways to make a Fruit Vegetable Sling

Ok, I know this is not an attractive photo. But I have spent as much time as I have to write the post LOL ... so the photos are really basic. Maybe someday I'll come back and take some really neat photos but for now, this will give you an idea of what it will look like. Of course, yours will look MUCH BETTER because you will have something besides an old onion to put in it.



The first takes a little more knowledge of knitting. If you want a complete beginner instructions, scroll down to #2.



This is a pattern I came up with that has a lot of holes. I'm sure it has a name but I don't know it and I spend way too much time writing these blog posts as it is, so if you want to know the name you'll have to look for it yourself.

It not only makes a nice fruit & vegetable hammock, but you can make a cargo net or string bag with it too!



This is the brand (but not the color) I used - but I recommend you get it at a local store for $10 or less. Right now, it's $8 at Walmart.


Cast on 4 stitches. I knitted it on size 8 needles using Peaches and Creme yarn (100% U.S. Cotton)  Lily Sugar n Creme is also 100% U.S. Cotton) which is important to me.

Row 1 - knit
Row 2 - purl
REPEAT UNTIL IT IS ABOUT 1" LONG

INCREASE:
Knit Rows - K2 YO2X K last 2 st
Purl Rows 4 - K2 - Purl Across - K last two stitches
REPEAT 3-4 UNTIL IT IS AS WIDE AS YOU WANT YOUR SLING always knit the first & last two stitches.

MAINTAIN:
Knit Rows - K1 YO2X K2TOG
Purl Rows - K first 2 st ... Purl across (count both YO's as 1 giant stitch) ... K last 2 st

(legend - YO2X means wrap the yarn around the working needle 2x then continue with next stitch
- K2TOG means knit the next two stitches as one stitch)

When you have your sling the size you want, decrease while still making holes (YO2X)

I did it by purling two stitches together on the purl rows.

If you figure out a better way, let me know.

When you get to 4 stitches, knit for 1" to match other side, bind off.

That's it.


You should run the extra yarn into the sling, like I didn't bother to do.


This pattern also a nice cargo net. You can see that post here:

Ok here is how to make a REALLY SIMPLE FRUIT NET


The first is to buy a pair of REALLY HONKING HUGE knitting needles like these. (You'll probably get the best deal at Hobby Lobby or Walmart.) I think I used a size 13. My needle gauge doesn't go up high enough for me to be positive, but 13-18 will work.



Cast on about 40 stitches for a small net, more for larger. I recommend making a little practice square to see how many stitches you will want to use. I needed a long skinny one, so I made only cast on about 35 stitches.

It does not matter how many stitches you cast on. I repeat - it does not matter!  If you don't know how to cast on there are many youtube videos who will do a great job showing you how.  If you don't know how to knit, there are many youtube videos .... I'll wait.

Now that you know how to knit - cast on however many stitches you need to make it as wide as you want, and knit.


That's it. When it's as long as you want it, bind it off. (If you don't know how to bind off, there are youtube videos)

If you want to be sassy, you can do stockinette, which is knit the front and purl the back. That is what I did because I am so fancy.

If you knit every row, it will look a bit different.

FINISHING THE FRUIT/VEG NET

Pay no attention to the blue elastic in the photo. That is because I was going to make a cargo net out of this. I changed my mind, but I don't have a photo of the fruit sling. I will take one while you go learn to knit :)

If you want to hang it with S hooks, gather up one end and slip it over the hook, then do the same to the other end.
Or you can use ribbon to gather up and tie the ends to make a hammock
Or you can just use the yarn that you knitted it with. 

Ta-Dah!  You now have a cute fruit net that you can make in any color you want!

Send me a picture! Your picture will be better than mine!


2 comments:

  1. Are you missing a repeat on row 3 with the YO’s. As I continue…all my holes end up on one side…lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know if you will ever see this, but if you do - make sure you have cast on an ODD number of stitches. That might be what your problem is. If not, please contact me at PaintyLiz(at)wackypup.com and I will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to share a comment. If you have a question please use the CONTACT FORM at the top right of the blog to contact me. I can't answer your questions through the comments section. I don't know how to fix this so just use the contact form and I can answer any question you may have. Thanks!

HOW TO CONTACT ME

Please use the contact form at the top right of the article to ask me any questions or if you want a reply to your comment. If I reply to your comment on the website, you may not know it or receive any email. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate hearing from you!

Join Passport America! Save Money!


PLEASE USE REFERRAL MEMBER GS-671013

Dehumidifier

Dehumidifier
I just bought this - it's 2x as effective, super quiet, lightweight. It's doing a great job! It has made a noticeable difference in the comfort level of our rv.