Monday, March 13, 2017

How I Made a Soft E-Collar for My Small Dog for $1

How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!


Today's post is a little different. My little girl got spayed a couple weeks ago. 
She came home from the vet in a hard plastic Elizabethan Collar, otherwise known as an E-Collar. It was pokey and very uncomfortable. I looked online and found lots of variations of softer collars, ranging from $10 to over $30.

This one is under $20 
How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

I'm going to show you how I made a nice e-collar for her from a $1 dish mat. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes start to finish.

When i picked her up from the vet, she was wearing a hard, uncomfortable plastic collar.


How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

It was very stiff and sharp around her neck.


How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

Poor thing

Then I remembered the dish mat I picked up in the dollar store! It was soft and flexible, but sturdy enough to make a great, comfortable e-collar.

How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

She is much more comfortable, even used it for a pillow while she slept. 

It's pretty much a 17" diameter half circle with a  6 1/2" diameter half circle cut out of it. I made it a little larger than the original cone. The collar the vet sent home was about 10" neck. I used it for a pattern, since I had it, but I cut it a bit larger.

This shows the piece already cut out of the mat. This site has a great tutorial on how to measure for an e-collar

How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

I marked the circle on the fabric, then I zig-zagged over the line BEFORE I cut it out. Then after I cut it out, I did another row or two of zig-zag over the edges. 

I overlapped the edges a little and sewed it together. I didn't sew all the way to the neck edge and put an elastic loop & button, but it really doesn't need it. I just slide it over her head. She keeps it on with no problems, but if you have a dog that really wants it off, you'll have to make the neck smaller. 


How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

If I had a problem I planned to sew a casing in thinner fabric around the neck edge and use a drawstring. If you have to leave your dog alone very often, or it is very insistent on trying to lick, you will have to make a sturdier or tighter neck. I am always with Emily and she wasn't very interested in her stitches, so it wasn't a problem.

How to make a soft e-collar for a small dog for $1 - Genius!

Now she and Mac are looking up what birds we're seeing outside LOL

Now Go Play Outside!

Liz



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Check this out!

Join Passport America! Save Money!

Seriously, save some money!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC